My Conversion Story

"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3


Conversion sometimes comes in the form of an angel, but it can sometimes come in the form of the adversary. I have found this out firsthand, because I wouldn't be where I'm at today if I had done things differently.


It was August of this year, and I was having a friend visit me. Many people know this friend as "Mike", but have never actually met him. He had come to town, because he wanted to see me. I was a bit unsure of the reasons behind this, but I agreed to it.


It seemed that everything that weekend went wrong. We were fighting constantly, and he was a different person from when I met him. He drank very heavily, and was not easy to be around. As we were sitting at a bar in downtown Salt Lake, he began to ask questions about the church.


"So, have you ever been to the Temple?" he asked finishing his beer.


"No." I replied with a look of sadness.


"Why not?" he seemed genuinely interested at this point.


I very quietly admitted, "There are choices I have made in my life that prohibit that. I would love to go someday, but I don't see it in the cards."


He looked at me and said,"That's dumb."


I started to ponder on the conversation. It WAS dumb that I wouldn't be going to the temple. It WAS dumb that I had made these choices. It WAS dumb that I had turned my back on the teachings that I had believed in since I was young. I felt my heart fall, and I began to cry.

We walked back to the hotel in silence. In the hotel room we got ready for dinner, but it turned into a fight again. I then told him that he was the most selfish person I had ever met. The next thing I remember was looking at the ceiling...from my back.

I had been punched, but the pain didn't come. I simply handed him the hotel key, and got in my car and went home. I talked with my mom about everything that had happened, and suddenly the light switch was turned on.

I can change my ways and come back to church. I can repent for the things that I did wrong and go to the temple. I can help other people that struggle with my trial.

I have never looked back since that day. I have made the decision to live my life in a way that is pleasing to my Father in Heaven. I also want to give as much service as I can. I love talking and helping people with struggles of any kind.

This is my conversion story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment